Letter No. 56 | Thursday December 30, 1943

[Letter from George's sister, Anna Ruth Dicus Campbell]
14 Tuxedo Pl.
Morristown, N.J.

Thursday December 30, 1943

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

Got a letter from George yesterday dated Dec. 27. It said:
Dearest A.R,

Sorry I didn't get to see you Xmas.

Having a good time and feel fine.

Be good, and I will be thinking of you.

Love always,
George
I am sure he's gone by that. They were to be interned 72 hrs. before they left. I'm so glad I got the two visits with him before he went.

We got the oranges and grapefruit in good shape. Only one orange was bruised, and we're certainly enjoying them. They're so much better than you can buy in the stores.

Robin is at Olive's for a couple of days, and Clifford is here with me. Clifford is such a sweet, helpful boy when we are here alone. He and Robin fight when they're here, but although Paul places all the blame on Cliff, I know it's at least a 50-50 proposition.

Tuesday Paul and I took the baby and went to Chatham to the William Pitt Inn for lunch. It was crowded. Paul went up-stairs to meet with Kiwanis, and baby and I ate downstairs. I had her really dressed up – little pink dress that I put away, you remember, new pink bonnet and sweater and white shoes and socks. Well, I was so proud of her. People came flocking over to look at here and say what a beautiful girl she was. She just opened her little mouth and smiled gleefully at them all – threw all the napkins and place mats off the table and had herself a good time in general.

Paul has been up all week but still doesn't feel up to par. I think flu leaves you weak and wishy-washy.

The sun has been shining brightly for the past week, and I've been taking the baby to town in the afternoon for air. It's nice out – about 20°.

I'm sending you the remainder of my debt. I also got the $10 you sent. Thanks – but if it's not convenient, don't rush about the other.

I was able to get a 2# box of "Fanny Farmer" during Xmas, and I mailed it yesterday. Thought you two candy eaters might enjoy it during the Christmas season.

Write soon, and

I love you both,
Anna Ruth