Letter No. 66 | Monday March 20, 1944

Pfc. George Dicus 34700627
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H) Det "A"
A.P.O. #638
c/o Postmaster, New York, New York

Monday March 20, 1944

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

I haven't heard from you for several days, but am expecting mail to start coming in tomorrow or the next day. Just thought I would write a short letter even though I don't know much.

We are still living in the tents, but have them fixed up pretty nice now. The big stoves get so hot they almost run you out. I still haven't had a long pass. Have only been to the small towns around. They are pretty nice though. They have some nice shows, and a few places to eat. We can get a lot of different kinds of little cakes called tarts, and the main thing is Fish and Chips which amounts to fish & French fried potatoes. They are pretty good though. A lot of boys in the Company have bought bikes, and I have the Company bike signed to me. We think nothing of riding 20 miles a night to go to town to a movie. When you get use to it, it is a lot of fun. The English all ride them. You might see some old lady that looks to be about the age of Cousin Florance come pumping down the road at a high rate of speed.

You know, I think I am getting along better in the tents than in the huts. I had a cold in the huts, and have felt fine out here.

They are going to haul us into town tomorrow to take showers. That is sure going to be nice. I am a little bit tired of trying to bathe in a steel helmet. I have found that it can be done though.

Take care of yourself, and write soon. I think about you a lot, and am always glad to get letters from home.

Love you,
George