Letter No. 119 | Monday May 21, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627
Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Box 175
Scottsboro, Alabama

Luxembourg City
May 21, 1945

Dearest Mother, Daddy, and Anna Ruth,

This has been one of those days that I like. Three letters from you in one day. Makes me feel pretty good. First one that I have gotten from you for several days.

Guess we are all wondering the same thing that you are. When am I going to get to come back to the States. It is not going to be half as simple as you seem to think Mother. As you know, we will be discharged according to point systems. It will take 85 points to be eligible for discharge, and I only have 60 the way things stand now. I have three battle stars for my ETO Ribbon, and the rest of them are for time in the service and time overseas. I am entitled to one more battle star, but don't think that I will be able to prove it. If I do get it, it will give me one 5 pointer, and that will help a lot even though it will not be enough points to get out of the army. The best thing that I can hope for is when the war with the Japs is over, the point will be cut down. Can't stay in forever though, so don't worry. What if I do go to the Pacific? It will only mean that I will see more of the word, and that would give me more points, better chance to get out of the army. You have heard the old saying, "Join the Navy and see the world." From the way things look, you could add the army onto that, and it would fit in pretty good. If I stay in the Air Corps, and I probably will, I would really like to go. It is not for me to say what I would like to do and when, so I will just sit quiet, and see what happens next.

Started this last night, but my buddy "Paul Joe" from N.J. came along and talked me into going to the show with him. We ended up at a circus, and had a nice time. 

I am supposed to be working now, so I had better get cracking. The war being over doesn't mean anything to us. We just keep knocking along.

Take care of yourself, and don't forget to write.

Love you,
George