Letter No. 120 | Wednesday May 23, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627
Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Box 175
Scottsboro, Alabama

Luxembourg City
May 23, 1945

Dear Folks,

How is everything on the home front today? Pretty nice here. It rained a couple times lately and it cooled things off quiet a bit. Hope it stays like that for a while, because it is much better when you are inside.

I had a trip inside Germany yesterday. It was short, and I was only gone about three hours. I crossed the bridge across the river at Echternach, and went about ten miles into Germany. [Link to a modern photo of the bridge at Echternach] It is much nicer back here, and as far as I am concerned, I will take my part of it here. You have probably heard a lot about the famous Seigrieid Line haven't you? We passed it yesterday and it is not half as big as you would think. Of course, knocking it out wasn't the hardest part of it, they had to get up there and hold long enough to hit it. 

What has happened to William Derrick? As his mother if she has heard from him lately? He did write to me quite often, but I haven't heard from him for some time. Probably like me though, just behind just behind with his letter writing.

We still don't know what is going to happen to us, when, and if if I do find out anything, I will let you know if I can. Sure hope I will be coming that way soon though. 

Glad that Erskine is having a good time at home. I am sure that I won't have any trouble enjoying being there for a furlough. Just to be there would be enough for me. It seems like years since I have been home, and that is not far from being right is it? 

We still don't have any details to pull outside of guard duty now and then. The have Luxembourg girls that pull our KP, clear the floor, dust our tables and desks and etc. Pretty nice set up, don't you think? I was on guard the other night from ten till two, and it rained like dogs and cats. I had a little protection though, and didn't get very wet. The only thing that we have to guard is the building that we stay in. They have MP guards for the rest. 

Guess Anna Ruth is there often enough to read my letters. I take it granted that she is, because she hasn't written to me for a long long time, have you Anna Ruth? Let's get on the ball huh!!

Everything is fine here. Hope the same is there. Just take care of yourself, and write often.

As ever,
George