Letter No. 96 | Wednesday December 27, 1944

Pvt George Dicus 34700627
Hq, 2nd Adv. Air Depot Area
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

France
December 27, 1944

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

Now I am so mad that is not even funny. I opened my writing pad, and what do you think I find, but the letter that I thought you would be getting pretty soon. The first thing that I think of after finding this letter is how Daddy carried a letter from Anna Ruth for about two weeks before he thought of it, and brought it home.

This makes two Christmases that I have been away from home, doesn't it? I thought about you, and sure would have liked to have been with you. I hope you did have a nice Christmas, and for the next one, I believe that we will be together once again. Let's make plans for it anyway. I went to church Monday morning and again the at midnight service. I had to work most of the day, but it was very nice, and I did enjoy the day.

Today was my day off. I spent the morning sleeping, play basketball this afternoon.

[NOTE: I think that the letter that he refers to finding is his pad is missing, except for the final page, which was a P.S. addition. Here it is:]

P.S. I think that I am about the worst character in the world. Why, this is your birthday Mother, and to you I hope that you are having the happiest birthday possible. Isn't it bad that I can't remember dates. I was looking at the date of this letter and saying what is there about Dec. 19 that sounds so familiar. It is the sweetest Mother's birthday in the world. Happy birthday again mother, and I hope that both of you have a very nice Christmas, and a happy New Year. I am getting a little stuff together, and am going to send it when I get it fixed up. I am not going to send it until I get it filled like I want it though. It will get there sometime though. Don't give up hope.

Lots of love again,
George