Letter No. 97 | Friday January 5, 1945

Pvt George Dicus 34700627
Hq, 2nd Adv. Air Depot Area
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

France
January 5, 1945

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

A lot of things that I do make me mad, but when I don't write to you for sometime, I really do get disgusted with myself. The trouble is, I will start a letter and lay it aside with the best kind of intentions to come back to it, and finish it up, and then that will be the last of it again until I will start another, and the same thing happens again. I am enclosing a couple of attempts that I started before. Without trying to make more excuses, I will just say I am sorry, and will try not to let it happen again.

Did you have a nice Christmas and New Year? I hope so. I thought about you and was hoping that it would be this last time though that we would be apart during the holidays.

I got a letter from you that was written Dec. 11, today. Quite a coincidence, you were telling me about waking up, and snow was on the ground. That is exactly what happened here this morning. I can remember the time that I would like to be out there in it instead of sitting beside a red hot stove as I am now. I did throw a few snowballs, but it doesn't take me long to get tired of the snow. This is the first time I have seen snow this year.

I think that I told you already that I saw Mose Branum and James Daniel. Ah yes, in the letter that I am sending with this one that I wrote before.

I have only gotten three of the boxes you sent to me. A fruitcake, which is very good and I enjoyed a lot, the French book, which I haven't looked at as yet but intend to, and the box with the Fancy Farmer candy, and it was very nice. One nice part about it though, it keeps me in suspense, and I know that I will get them sooner or later, or at least I hope to. Thanks a lot for them.

The officers that you asked me about were in the old company. The officer that sensors my mail now is Warrant Officer Baker. I didn't think about it until just now that, that was your name before you got married wasn't it. I will ask him if he comes from the same family sometime.

I have been doing just the usual routine thing. Still work in the same office, and still like the work O.K., and am getting along fine.

We have been restricted to the post for sometime now, so I don't know any news much from the outside.

Take care of yourself and write often.

Love always
George