Letter No. 134 | Sunday June 24, 1945

NOTE: This letter is out of order.  I'll just insert it here, rather than trying to fix it. It should have been posted with the June letters.

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
June 24, 1945

Dearest Folks,

This has been a very nice afternoon. I feel one hundred percent better now. We took the English van, and drove out about 3 or 4 miles out of town to a nice swimming pool and spent the afternoon. We swam a lot and then threw a ball around for a little while, and spent the rest of the afternoon in the sun. Of course, I got a little red, but didn't blister I don't think.

When I got back I had a letter from you telling me about yours and aunt Ruth's trip to Chattanooga. I am glad that you had a good time, and I want you to spend a lot of time up there. I am very sorry to hear that no news from Bill has changed for the better. I still think there is always a chance, and that we should not give up hope for good news.

I told you that I would let you know if there should be any changes in my status here as to what I will be doing next. Right now, it is the same story. Will either be in one of the other classes that I have been telling you about. The thing is though, things are really in the fire for me. The outfit that I was in before they broke up is reforming and they are doing everything in their power to get me back in the outfit for some reason. As you know though, it is a lower HQ, and it is directly under this command, and they are for some reason or other trying to hold on to me. The old outfit has promised to make me sergeant right away, and S/Sgt as soon as possible, and a chance to work for T/Sgt. you can imagine that that sounds very good to me, and worth trying for. It will mean a trip, and a furlough in the states, but from there you know where I would go. The ratings would not come through until we got to the final destination though. On the other hand, this outfit put me in for Sgt., and it will probably come out the first of next month. You can see what I am between. Advantages are great to either of them, and it seems as though I am just falling into them from either side. Of course, I will be with the old bunch if I go to the old outfit, and they are an alright bunch. On the other hand, I have good friends here, and have a good job. You can give me all the advice you care to, but it will be too late. It will be decided one way or the other before I could receive a letter from you. I will be in a HQ either way though, so don't worry about it. If I should stay here, there is the chance that I could go later, and not have as good set up as I would have now. Time will tell though, and I will let you know how things come out as soon as I can.

Things are pretty bad. Seems as though all of my friends want to marry English ATS girls. Remember me telling you about M/Sgt. Morris Parkhill? He left for England this morning, and when he comes back, he will be a married man. I guess it is okay if they want it that way, but as for me, I just can't see it. I will do all of the marrying back in the states, that is, if I ever do get married. Don't you think that is a good idea?

Got a letter from Erskine yesterday, and he told me all about his furlough. He said that he has a good set up now, and hopes to keep it for a while. I think I will try to answer it as soon as possible.

I am sending you a couple of pictures that we have taken lightly. The girls in the picture are the ones they clean the halls for us, and dust our tables. One of the ones was taken in front of the cathedral in Koln after we had been on the road for about 4 1/4 days. The truck in the background is the one that we ride around in all the time. It sure comes in handy. The one on the bike was taken before we left Criel France.

It is time for me to go to chow, and I am going downtown tonight, so I will close for this time. Please excuse the sloppy letter. I have written it hurriedly, so please look over all the mistakes.

Love you, 
George

[click photos to enlarge]