Letter No. 133 | Friday July 20, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
July 20, 1945

Dearest Folks,

After the poor excuse for a letter that I started today, I think I had better write again and let you know that I am not worked to death as you might think. I just wanted to get a letter off to you, and thought I would send it even though it was very short.

Parkhill left this afternoon for a trip up in Germany. He is going to be gone about a month, and will have a long trip. He is to visit about ten different units, and they are scattered all over the place.

I suppose we will be pulling out of here sometime within the next few weeks. Guess we will be in the vicinity of Nürnberg. There is not supposed to be much of the place left. But, I don't expect to be going around but very little while I am up there. This is a nice place, and we hate to leave the place, but we will have to move up closer to the units under this Hq.

The mail hasn't come in today, but I have a feeling that I will get a letter. Sure hope so anyway. I got a letter from you yesterday. I got the biggest kick about you asking me what division I am in. Div., Reg., Battalions, and other names like that go with the ground forces. I am in the Ninth Air Force. It is the only Air Force over here now. The Eighth Air Force was in England, but they have all been redeployed to the Pacific. Part of the Ninth is also going, but part of it is staying over here to police the Hines. As things go now? I will stay here for the duration I guess. As for all those clippings you have been sending me about all the boys being replaced, well that is just a bunch of hooey. There are more boys here that have a lot more points that I have, and they will be the first ones to go home. A lot of the jobs here ran out when the war was over, and there is nothing for some of the fellows to do. My job is still in full swing, so there will be another group that will take off before me.

Guess I had better cut this letter off like I did the other one. The Col. is in our office now, and I don't want him to see me writing this letter. Not until he promotes me anyway.

Love always, 
George

[Click each photo to enlarge]