Letter No. 27 | Friday June 11, 1943

Pfc. George H Dicus
865th Chemical Co., Air Ops.
Army Air Base
Reno, Nevada

Friday June 11, 1943

Dearest Mother,

I got both of your letters today. Mail service out here seems to be awfully slow even though it does go by Air Mail.

We are not doing much now. The Co. is still pretty small, and we won't be doing much work until it builds up. We go to school, drill, play ball, and just lay around a lot. I don't know when I will go into the office, and I really don't care. I like this kind of work pretty good.

I am glad the boys are having a good time. I wish I could be there to see them, but I won't have a chance to get home for a month or so yet. I am sure going to grab the first chance though. The Company Commander is good about giving them, but I am down the list now, and have to wait my turn.

The Co. is all going swimming pretty soon out to a big mineral hot water spring. I guess we will have a lot of fun.

How does daddy like his work? I am glad he is not too far from home.

It is warm here now, but is pretty pleasant. I still will be glad when I am shipped back south though.

Too bad about Bill (first cousin) washing out. I hope he comes through O.K. on navigation.

I wonder what Erskin (first cousin & brother of Bill) is going to do. Is he going to try to get into something or wait to be drafted?

I haven't been into Reno but one time since I have been here. It is a pretty nice town, but I don't care much about going in.

I am going over to the Post Exchange with some boys so I guess I better close and mail this letter.

Lots of love,
George