Letter No. 43 | Thursday September 30, 1943

Pfc. George Dicus
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H)
AAF Fresno BTC
Fresno 2, Calif.

Thursday September 30, 1943

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

Before I forget to tell you, please send me my birth certificate as soon as you can. You know, the one we sent for just before I came into the army. I am to put in an application for the cadets, but I know it won't do any good. I don't think that my Company Commander would turn me loose, but I think I will try it anyway. If I should get in, I would be sent to college for almost 5 months before I started the regular training. I have been in training in Chemical Warfare almost too long to try I think, but I can't lose anything by it anyway. You need not mention this though. By the way, that is the only way that is possible to get out of Chemical Warfare is to go cadets.

This over seas business is cooling down now. Several Cos. moved out, but this one missed it, and is not expected to get any news for a month or so. I think that I will get a furlough about the first of next month. I sure hope so anyway. There were 15 boys that left out today, and I am supposed to be in the next group that gets them.

We went back out on range again this week, and fired a different type of gun. I made out pretty good, but we didn't fire for record this time.

How was the trip home mother? I am glad you had a good time.

Write to me real soon, and tell me what is going on, on the home front.

Love always,
George

P.S. $5 enclosed