Letter No. 46 | Saturday November 6, 1943

[Letter from George's sister, Anna Ruth Dicus Campbell]
14 Tuxedo Pl.
Morristown, N.J.

November 6, 1943

Saturday –

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

I started this letter this afternoon and didn't get any farther than the date.

Lillis and Bill are coming tonight, and I just heard Paul drive in with them so will finish tomorrow!!

Sunday night –

Well, Lillis and Bill have gone – left about 4:30 this afternoon. We had such a nice visit. We had the baby christened this morning, and they stood up at the altar with us. They brought her a beautiful sterling silver comb and brush set, and two toys. They also brought a whole pre-cooked ham. We had a baked leg of lamb for dinner so we have enough food cooked for next week, I think. I made a delicious deep-dish blackberry pie today, in which they seemed to enjoy very much.

Martha was so good at church. She went to sleep during the sermon. I got a certificate of baptism.

I took her to the doctor yesterday, and she said she had never seen a finer, better natured baby. She stuck the paddle on her tongue to examine her throat, and she just smiled. She's in perfect shape. Dr. Ferriss said she was such a big, fine girl that I could feed her some strained prunes along with her cereal. She gets a big tablespoonful of baby cereal and 2 teaspoonfuls of prunes at 10 A.M. and 6 P.M., and her milk. She now gets 15 ounces of evaporated milk per day – one can and 2 extra ounces. Such a pig! I forgot to weigh her today in all the excitement, but I know she's made a good gain.

I went to N.Y. Friday to meet Paul. Mrs. Rogers came at 9 o'clock and I went to the beauty parlor, etc., and then went to N.Y. at 3:14. Made two subway changes and got to Paul's office on 42nd Street without a bobble. I was a bit uneasy because I had never before tried to travel around by myself in N.Y.

Paul has a beautiful office on the 30th floor of a big building about a block from the Grand Central Station. Mr. and Mrs. Soo-Hoo came over, and we took them to dinner and to a show. They were entertained, of course, on company expense – being very good customers. They seemed to enjoy it and sent you their best regards, Mother.

We went to a very good French restaurant and then went to the Capital Theater to see "Phantom of the Opera." Duke Ellington and his band were appearing in person and Lena Horne, negro star of the movie "Stormy Weather."

Paul wanted me to bring the baby to the plant at a quarter to 12 Saturday for everybody to see. I dressed her up and took her, and she was so good. Never a whimper. She's such a good girl. Everybody comments on it. She never cries at night. I'm certainly thankful.

Lillis and Bill are coming home for a week about the 11th, I believe. Be sure to try to see Lillis. She can tell you all about the baby. She said that they had no place for Mrs. C. and not time to entertain her, so they're going to see her to save her that hard trip of coming up. Paul and I said simultaneously, "Thank God." I'm crazy about Lillis, and we really had a lot of fun with them.

I haven't heard a word from George. Have you? I'm going to write him again tonight.

The Garden Club are coming tomorrow night. Paul is in cleaning the kitchen now, I do believe.

All of us except the baby have little colds but seem better now.

By the way, tell Gertrude that Robin made 5 "A's," 4 "B's," and 1 "C" on his report card. "A" on Arithmetic, "B" on spelling, "C" on Reading – the rest health, art, music, etc. He had a better card than Clifford. He was certainly proud.

Hope Daddy's head is still better and that you're feeling fine. Are Elizabeth and Wendell straight by now?

Write soon, and I love you both,
Anna Ruth