Letter No. 52 | Saturday December 18, 1943

[Letter from George's sister, Anna Ruth Dicus Campbell]
14 Tuxedo Pl.
Morristown, N.J.

Saturday December 18, 1943

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

Surprise!!! Last night at 10 o'clock the phone rang as I was just fixing the baby's bottle. It was George, and he was in Morristown. He had another boy with him – a very nice boy from Montana – lives on a ranch.

Paul was in bed with the flue and a temp. of 103°, so I told them to get a taxi and come on out.

I just dressed, straightened up the downstairs a bit and took the baby down. She was awake for the bottle, and George fed her, and got such a kick out of her. You should have heard him talking to her.

He was, as usual, broke and said he had written Daddy to send him money here. I'm sure you hadn't got the letter, because you didn't mention it. Luckily, I happened to have $20 which I let him have.

I fixed them bacon, eggs, English muffins, coffee, jello and cookies – oh yes, a big glass of buttermilk for George.

They had to be back at 6 o'clock this morning, so they left at 12:15 last night. They had to go to N.Y. and take a bus from there to Camp Kilmer, N.J. They had plenty of time – about 2 hrs. in N.Y., but it was the best connection they could make. I didn't want them to be late.

They didn't get to stay but about 2 hrs., but they seemed to enjoy it, and we had an awfully nice visit. I couldn't ask for a nicer Christmas present.

George said he didn't think he would be able to get back. The ship's in the harbor and waiting for convoy. George said he overheard in the office something which made him think they were headed for England, and we fixed up a little system by which I'll know from his first letter where he is. Don't mention any of this!! Not where he thinks he's going, even. Of course they're not supposed to know or tell anything.

George looked fine! 178 lbs. and hair cut real short again. He seemed so happy and excited to be going, and I gave him all the news from home.

We were planning to go to N.Y. today, but Paul came in from Boston with flue and didn't go to work yesterday and is really sick.

Mrs. Rogers is coming today to help me, and the kids are doing all the cleaning, etc. I'm taking every precaution to keep it from spreading and especially with the baby. I boil all dishes, keep her entirely separate, wash my hands thoroughly before I touch her, and put on an apron when I take things to Paul and pull it off at the door. I think we're perfectly safe. There are hundreds of cases around here – schools are closed until Jan. 3.

I think after tomorrow Paul will be much better – Dr. Ferriss says the first three days are the worst.

Well that's everything that I can think of – so I want to get this off special air-mail. I knew you'd be anxious to hear, and I also wanted you to know how happy and enthusiastic George is.

By the way, they are not allowed to take watches, so he really didn't want one.

The baby is fine. She just looked and looked at George and smiled and he said he didn't know much about babies but she looked about the best he ever saw!!

Well, I'm glad Daddy got home for Christmas. George told me to write, for his letters are all censored.

Lots of love to you both,
Anna Ruth