Letter No. 57 | Tuesday January 11, 1944

Pfc. George Dicus
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H)
A.P.O. #9153
c/o Postmaster, New York, New York

Tuesday January 11, 1944

Dearest Mother and Dad,

I guess you have decided by now that I wasn't going to write again.

We had a very nice trip over. In fact much better than we thought possible. There was a large group of Red Cross workers aboard ship, and they furnished entertainment all the way across. The food was good. In fact, I think I gained weight on the trip It was just a nice trip, and we all enjoyed it. We are not stationed yet, but we will be pretty soon, and it is a nice place, and you won't have to be worrying, because I will be quite safe. So far everything has been nice, and I think I will like this place fine.

Don't you think it was lucky that I got to see Anna Ruth before we left? I had a good time there, and am glad that I got to see the baby. She is a cute little thing.

Do you remember a Curkland boy that use to work at Ed Kennamer Gulf Station? He was on the boat. He tripped me in the hall one day, and ask if I didn't use to work at Payne's Drug Store after school in Scottsboro. He said he went to school to you a long time Mother. Anyway, it was nice to talk to someone from home. I guess we must be spread all over the world, and there is no telling when you might run into one of them. I have met several boys from Birmingham and Montgomery, and several others from towns scattered over Alabama.

[NOTE: In the same envelope and continuing on the same page, the letter continues with the date January 18, 1944]

Tuesday January 18, 1944

I am stationed somewhere in England. This is a nice place. We live in barracks that are as good as any back in the states. The food, much to my surprise, is pretty good even. Of course some of it is dehydrated foods, but we get meat every meal, and all we want.

We get a big kick out of English (we call them Limeys) talk. They try to be nice to us though and they are not bad.

You should see the bike I ride. It has small tires and the brakes are on the handle bars. I ride it back and forth to the P.O. and Headquarters. It saves a lot of steps too.

I got the $30 you sent me, but didn't get the $25 you said you sent for Xmas. It will probably be forwarded on to me, but it might have gone back to you.

I am going to take out an allotment for about $20 when I can. I don't think I will need much money here.

You can tell Aunt Ruth to tell Bill and Albert they owe me a letter and send me Erskine's address, and I will write to him.

I haven't gotten the packages yet but I suppose they will get here sometime.

I will write a V Mail letter soon and you can tell me which one gets there soonest.

Take care of yourself, and remember that I am thinking about you.

Love always,
George

P.S. I was one of the few that didn't get sick coming across. That is more than you could say on any of your trips across isn't it Pop?