Letter No. 61 | Monday February 14, 1944

Pfc. George Dicus 34700627
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H)
A.P.O. #638
c/o Postmaster, New York, New York

Monday February 14, 1944

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

I hope you have heard from me by now, and surely you have. I have gotten a lot of letters from you, and the last one, dated Jan. 16, still didn't have word that you had heard from me.

Everything is fine here. We have nice warm huts, and the food is pretty good. We had fried chicken today, and it was about the best I have had since I have been in the army. I had 6 of the best parts, pays to know the cook.

Send me the Park's boys address, and I will write to them. I wonder what Albert is going to do with the letters of recommendation. I have my letters, and birth certificate. I am working on a little deal, but everything goes very slow, and it takes a long time to do anything. I have taken the Physical though, and went by perfect. Eyes are better than normal. I think I will try for Cadet, but the chances are very slim, so you need not spread it around. If I should though, that would take me back to the States. That would be too bad wouldn't it? (Ha, Ha)

I got the pocket book and money belt last week. They are very nice, thanks. The only trouble is though, English money is bigger than ours, and it doesn't fit so good. The British Pound ($4.03) and half Pound ($2.00) is about the only bills we see, so I probably won't be crowding the pocket book up too much anyway. The penny included is worth two pennies and the six pence is about a dime. You generally have a pocket full of change, because $2.00 is the smallest bill, and there are a lot of different coins. I guess you have used this money haven't you daddy?

I can't write dates, of definite periods of time, so you see, I can't answer some of the questions you ask me.

England is damp, although it doesn't rain and stay foggy nearly so much as you seem to think. The nights are usually pretty dark and cloudy, but we do have some nice clear weather.

Send me Bill Mc's address and I will write to him, and try to meet him on pass somewhere. I don't think he is very close to me, but England is so small, I could almost go anywhere on pass.

See if you can get a point for a Parker pen, and send it to me. This one is bent up, and doesn't do so good.

Take care of yourself and write soon.

Love always,
George