Letter No. 73 | Thursday June 29, 1944

Pfc. George Dicus 34700627
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H)
A.P.O. #149
c/o Postmaster, New York, New York

England
Thursday June 29, 1944

Dearest Mother,

Everything is just about as usual, we have been working pretty hard, but still not doing much of anything.

I have planned to write every night this week, but something has come up every night and I have put it off. For insstance, tonight we played a double header softball game with the MP Company. They took the last game, but we won the first one. Youi should have seen all the errors I made.

You ask in your last letter , I think, where, and if I go to church. They have a tent set up on this base for movies, church, etc. I have been going every Sunday. They have an Army chaplain here, and I enjoy hearing him.

I got the box Anna Ruth sent while she was home. I was glad to get it, and some of the stuff she sent will come in handy.

I haven't written, or heard from daddy yet. I will try to write to him tonight, or in the morning one. I am glad he likes his work out there, but still think it is too far away from Alabama.

You have probably heard a lot about Germany's new secret weapon, the pilotless plane. I have seen them, and I don't think they are worthy of all the build up they are getting. They have ways to control them to a great extent, and there is not much to it. As far as I am concerned, they won't be bothering us.

Mother, I don't think this war can last much longer. They are hitting the fury hard from three sides now, and I don't see why it won't be over sooner than most people even estimate. I sure will be glad.

Have you been reading about the GI Bill of Rights? They look pretty good to me. I don't know yet, what I am going to do after the war is over. I may go back to school. That looks pretty good to me now. What do you think? Sure would seem funny going back now. Sara, and all the girls have graduated, but there will be some of the boys going back though. I will be out at 22 at least, and I would graduate at 24 at least. That is still pretty young. I know of a lot of boys that were older than that, and still in school.

It is already getting late, so I think I will hit the hay.

I am going to start writing to you real often, and you keep on writing because I sure would miss your letters if you should stop writing.

Take care of yourself, and remember that I love you, and think about you a lot.

Love you always,
George