Letter No. 84 | Friday October 20, 1944

Pfc. George Dicus 34700627
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H)
A.P.O. #149
c/o Postmaster, New York, N.Y.

Mrs. Paul J. Campbell
14 Tuxedo Place
Morristown, N.J.

V-Mail Service
France

Young Lady, do you realize that you owe me several letters right now? When the mail starts to come in, I will probably owe you several letters myself. It has been over a month since we had mail, so we are due for a big mail call anytime now. When it does get here, we should have enough mail to keep us satisfied for a while.

We have moved again, and that always calls for a lot of work. It is much nicer here than it was back at the other base though. There is a lot of grass around the base, so there is not half as much mud, and that is what we hate most.

I started this letter during noon hour, and a truck pulled into the supply tent, so I went out and helped the drive with his load. The first thing I did was to drop a piece of iron on my little finger that weighs a little over 300 lbs. Just a matter of losing another nail, and  a bruised finger.

Champagne is very plentiful here, and it is cheap also. A quart of the best aged sell for about 150 Franks or around $3.00. I don't drink the stuff, but some of the guys go out most every night, and drink 2 or 3 qts of it.

We are working on a portable shower now. I will be glad when it is finished, because it gets pretty tiresome trying to bathe in a two gallon bucket.

Take care of yourself, and write often. Your letters will get here sometime I hope.

Lots of love,
George