Letter No. 85 | Monday October 23, 1944

Pfc. George Dicus 34700627
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H)
A.P.O. #149
c/o Postmaster, New York, N.Y.

Mrs. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

France
October 23, 1944

Dearest Mother,

You must think by now that about all we do is move. That is not true, but that is what has happened again. This time, we moved into nice brick buildings. We have a room for five, and cabinets to hang our clothes in. It looks more like a dorm rather than a barracks. The Germans occupied them before they were driven back.

I still haven't heard from daddy. As a matter of fact, we still haven't gotten mail from anyone. It will all get here sometime I hope. Then there will be so much mail that we won't know what to do with it. That won't make me mad though. I hope your mail is coming through O.K.

Tell me which gets there sooner. The V-Mail, or the Air Mail. They say that the V-Mail should get there within 7 or 8 days, and the rest may take longer.

I will be glad when my French book gets here, because I no speakey the French language. A French lady just took my laundry, and we had an awful time trying to find out when it would be back. One of the boys promoted a dozen eggs the other day, and we decided to take them down town, and get them cooked, and have soup, and fried potatoes with them. I was elected to take them down that afternoon, and make all the arrangements. Five of us wend down that night, and all they had was the eggs. They didn't understand that I wanted a meal also. Boy, were they burned up. We had to walk up in the rain, and we could have cooked them just as well ourselves on our own stove.

If you want to get a letter now and then, you had better send me some stamps. This is the last one I have, so it will be V-Mail next time.

While you are sending me something, you might as well put in a little food. Small cans are nice, and I would like to have a little can of syrup. Maple, or some kind that is good. We get hot cakes, and have to eat them dry. Sometimes we get a little jelly, but they would be a lot better with the syrup.

Talking about food makes me hungry. I think that I will go get in the chow line, because it won't be long now until it is time to eat.

Take care of yourself, and keep writing to me.

Love you,
George