Letter No. 88 | Wednesday November 1, 1944

Pfc. George Dicus 34700627
859th Chemical Co. A.O. (M&H)
A.P.O. #149
c/o Postmaster, New York, N.Y.

France
November 1, 1944

Dearest Mother,

The mail finally came through. You have never seen so much mail at one time I bet. It sure was nice to see it coming, and I was glad to get 8 or 9 letters from you. Some of them were old, but I still enjoyed them.

In the letters that I got from you, you hadn't heard that I am in France. I know that you must have heard about it some time ago now, and I will probably get letters soon where you have heard.

You must be home by now, and I wonder if daddy is there, or when he will get home. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit with Anna Ruth, and am also glad that you stayed for a while this time. It is almost too far to go to enjoy just being there a week. When does she plan to come home next?

Albert has been in the hospital a long time this time, hasn't he? Did he tell you what was wrong with him? I didn't get to see Bill when I was in England. I would have liked to, but didn't get the chance. In fact, it has been some time since I have heard from him. Erskine still owes me a letter also. He must be pretty busy now though.

To bad that Mr. Woodall wasn't elected mayor. Mr. Jacobs will be better than the last one I think, don't you?

You say that you didn't hear from me for 2 weeks in one of  your letters. I don't think that I have waited that long in some time, but you should be getting letters all along now. I have been writing you about three times a week for some time now. I hope they are coming in OK.

The girls around Scottsboro, are really going in for grad. work aren't they? Peggy sure must like school to go to school up north. I guess that she will like that type of work better than teaching at J.C.H.S. though. Sara Campbell is going to Tulane.

We still live in buildings, and the only trouble we have is keeping wood. It is pretty scarce, but we manage to get enough to keep our stove nice and red.

Don't worry about me, because I am getting along fine. We get plenty to eat, and don't have too much work to do.

Take care of yourself, and write me often.

I love you,
George

P.S. Send food, and a Sheaffer's Junior fountain pen if you can find one.

[NOTE: Here's an interesting link to a 1944 Sheaffer's advertisement.  $12.50 was a lot of money back in 1944]