Letter No. 100 | Thursday January 18, 1945

Pvt George Dicus 34700627
Hq, 2nd Adv. Air Depot Area
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

V-Mail
France
January 18, 1945

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

I wrote an air mail letter to you last night, so I thought I would write a V-mail tonight, so you can see how much difference there is in the time it takes to get there.

I was supposed to meet M. D. Hayes in town tonight, but called him up at noon today, and told him to meet me tomorrow instead. I think that I will get a little sleep tonight for a change. He was very agreeable, and said that he could me tomorrow just as well.

Our snow is going fast now. It has started to rain a little along, and it doesn't take long for the snow to get off the ground after rain you know. It has turned considerable warmer in the meantime also.

Anna Ruth will probably get pretty sore because I am not writing to her but if I did send a letter to N.J., she would be down home before the letter would get there. Tell her that I will start writing real often when I get her new address. 

I sure am getting cheated on the difference of the amount of words that we can put on a V-mail. Of course, I was just joking, but when it is typed, it makes a nice long letter, don't you think? When it is written out there are about 150 I guess, and typed there should be over three hundred, I believe. I wonder if the writing is too small to read easily. I have gotten a few letters that were typed single space like this, and it was pretty hard to read. It was the small type typewriter though, so I think that it should not be too hard to read when I use this machine that types all capitals. It is a good typewriter, and I like to use it. Anyway, you can read it better than you could my writing I think, can't youi?

Daddy, I should send you the letter that was returned to me from Washington, so you believe that I really did write. I wrote it on the 22nd of Sept., and have just gotten it back. I sent it to Gen. Del., Hanford, Washington. Wasn't that the right address? That makes me pretty mad to find that you didn't get the letter.

Tell Elizabeth that I haven't gotten the letter that she wrote yet. I get some mail that is very old, and am sure that some of in never gets here, but of course that is a very small portion of it. I will get the letter sooner or later, and will answer it then. 

Daddy, as the English would say it, "you have had it chum". There is no more room on this page. Take care of yourselves, and don't forget to write.

I love you,
George