Letter No. 99 | Wednesday January 17, 1945

Pvt George Dicus 34700627
Hq, 2nd Adv. Air Depot Area
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

France
January 17, 1945

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

This will have to be short, because I am driving for an officer tonight, and will have to pick him up in a short time. He couldn't get a regular driver so I had to fill in. It is a closed command car, so it is pretty warm and I don't mind.

I talked to M. D. Hayes telephone today and am going to meet him in Paris tomorrow. I have had pretty good luck lately meeting people that I know, don't you think? When I asked to speak to him, I asked for Cpl. Hayes, and they said do you mean Sgt. Hayes? I am working on a little angle where I might start getting ratings myself. It is about time, don't you think? They are being held up now, but I think something will break soon.

Well, Anna Ruth should be getting ready to move down south by now, shouldn't she? I am glad that she will be so close to home. It will seem funny when I get back, and we won't be scattered halfway around the world from each other. Not only funny, but also nice don't you think? It will be the first time in a long long time.

I have been getting several letters from Bill Derrick lately. He is probably pretty mad at me by now, because I owe him a couple now. I don't know why it is so hard for me to start writing, but I do intend to answer them right away.

We still have snow, but it has turned considerably warmer and I think it should start melting. I really hate to see it go, because there sure will be a lot of mud and slush when it melts.

I think it is a good idea to write a few V-mail others along, because they seem to come much faster than regular mail. I still don't like it, but if it means hearing from you sooner, I am all in the favor of getting a few along.

I have been getting along fine. I weighed the other day, and I weigh 180, so you can see I am not going undernourished. Everything is pretty good in general, and I don't have any kicks right now. If necessary I can always find something to gripe about though even though it is nothing more than I want to go home, and that does seem to be out of the question right now.

It is time for me to go and pick up the officer that I am driving for tonight, so I had better close. I hope that both of you are doing fine, and are in good health, and will take care of yourselves through this cold weather.

Love you very much,
George