Letter No. 103 | Sunday January 21, 1945

Pvt George Dicus 34700627
Hq, 2nd Adv. Air Depot Area
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

[NOTE: Sorry I got a couple of these out of order by a few days. The postmarks are sometimes several days later than the dates on the letters.]

V-Mail
France
January 21, 1945

Dearest Mother and Daddy,

I have just gotten back from a French show. Part of them could speak English enough to get by, and there were some pretty good acts to it. Just dancing, a magician, a singer, etc. It was pretty good, but not the best that I have seen by any means. 

M. D. Hayes and I finally got together in Paris. He hasn't changed very much although he only weighs 215 lbs. now. When he came in the Army he weighed 265 lbs. He doesn't look to be fat, but just big. We went to the Red Cross and to a show later period. It was nice to see him although he was never a good friend of mine. 

Just as it looked as though we wouldn't have snow very much longer, it started again, and now we have as much snow as ever again. I am used to it now though, and guess I will miss it when it does go away. 

The war news sounds good now doesn't it? I hope the "Red" Army keeps right on going and doesn't stop until they meet us on this side. That is not possible of course, but I think they will go a long way in or at least lets hope so. 

One of the boys from my old outfit was here yesterday. We went to town last [night]. It was his first trip in, so he was pretty impressed. There were some good boys back in the old company, but I think that I had rather be here. I also so Capt. Mehcready. He was the C.O., but he was with some high ranking officers, and couldn't stop to talk very long. 

Two years ago yesterday, I got on the bus to go to Fort McPhearson, to pick up this uniform. In one way, it doesn't seem that long, but in other ways it seems to have been years. I hope it won't be that long before I am back where I started from to give the uniform back to them. 

Work really piled up on me today. I was supposed to have the afternoon off, but I knew that I would never catch up if I didn't work. It was most too cold to go out though, so I didn't mind it at all.

I feel fine, don't have the slightest bit of cold, and am doing okay. I hope that you are alright, but if you do get sick, be sure and tell me. Take good care of yourself, and don't expose yourself during the bad weather.

Write soon, and often. Now, I'm off to bed.

Love,
George