Letter No. 105 | Friday February 9, 1945

Pvt George Dicus 34700627
Hq, 2nd Adv. Air Depot Area
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

France
February 9, 1945

Dearest Mother, Daddy & Anna Ruth,

This letter is going to have to be short, because I have the most despiseable job in the army tomorrow, and am going to go to bed a little bit earlier tonight. That job is none other than K.P. I didn't have to pull it until I got here, but in a headquarters outfit, they don't have enough men that work in the offices to exempt those that do have office work.

I am going to enclose another picture of the people that I work with in this section. This one has been signed by each one of them while the other one that I sent you had the names typed in.


[click photo to enlarge]


[click photo to enlarge]

You were asking me why I didn't get a book and write down the people's address that I meet. I thought you knew that I have been keeping one all along. I started it while I was in Brookings S.D., and have most of the addresses of the boys that I have known real well, or at least those that I have run around with. I think that I have about 100 addresses of enlisted men and about 25 officers. It will be pretty nice to have after the war. No matter where I go I will know someone not too far from that place.

We have had very nice weather here for the past few days. It seems pretty nice to be able to go around without a jacket on for a change. I hope that it is nice there now, and that the worst part of the winter is over.

Today has gone by in nothing flat. The days that we are rushed to death seems to be the shortest days. This was sure one of the fast days. The work sure did stack up, and took a lot of hustling to get it out.

I got two packages from you this week. One from each, and there was home made candy in both of them. I gave some of the boys a piece and they also thought it was very good.

As I told you when I started this is a short letter, but I will try to write again soon. Now off to bed.

Love you always,
George