Letter No. 107 | Monday March 12, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627
Hq & Hq Sqdn,
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Box 175
Scottsboro, Alabama

France
March 12, 1945

Dearest Mother, Daddy, and Anna Ruth,

This happens to be my night to come in and work, so I will try to knock out a V-Mail before it is time to get started to work.

We have been very busy here in the office for some time now. We are short 2 or 3 clerks, and that really makes things pile up a little bit more.

I have gotten a couple letters from you lately Anna Ruth. The one that I got today was telling me about your new house. It sounds like a nice one to me, and I am sure glad that you could get on that you like. I imagine they are pretty scarce there now. I am glad that you like Nooga, and that you will be close to home now.

I saw a good basketball game last night. It was at the base where Mose Branum is stationed, but I didn't get to see him. I don't know if he is still there or not. I am not so close that I can go down there anytime that I want to anymore. 

You remember a boy named Reed that use to work for the Coca Cola Co.? He is here, and is a cook. He has been with this outfit for a long time. I see him every day, but we just speak, and that is about all. I didn't know much about him at home.

My work here is similar to the work that I was doing back at the other Hq. A large percent of the boys came up here to work when the outfit broke up, so it didn't seem like coming into a new outfit as much as if I had come alone. This Hq. is much larger than the one that I worked in before. It also is fixed up pretty nice. We have a nice Red Cross Building, nice mess hall, movies every night, basketball games most every night, and etc. We sleep in tents though, but it is getting warmer here at night, and they are not bad at all.

Two of the records were cracked a little bit, but we played them a couple of times anyway. I don't have my phonograph anymore though. It was most too big to carry around with me, so I gave it to one of the boys before I left the Chemical Co. I did play a few times on the Special Service machine though.

Just time to say goodbye, and I must start to work. I love all of you, and think about you lots.

Love,
George