Letter No. 116 | Sunday May 4, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627
Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Box 175
Scottsboro, Alabama

Somewhere in Luxembourg
May 4, 1945

Dearest Mother, Daddy, and Anna Ruth,

Good news has been coming on the radio. Can't for the life of me see how they can hold out in Southern Germany, and that is about all that is left now. By the time this letter gets to you, part of the big shouting will be over. Every time the news comes on now, we all leave out work, and run to the radio in hopes that the good word will be there. There will be a lot of excitement here when it is officially over, and I know there will be most everywhere. A false rumor came out of Paris, and they almost tore the place down before they found out that it wasn't the truth.

You can see by the heading that my address has changed once again. Yes, we lost a home in France. It was very nice there, and we had a good time, but I am really glad that we left. The place that we are now is the next thing to America that I have seen since I left the States long long ago. There are only a few people here that can't speak English, and most of them speak it almost as good as we can. We are really at a very nice place. Live and work in Hotels that are very nice.

I am very sorry that I did not get to see Erskine as he went home. I don't think that he did go by where I was, or he could have gotten in touch with me. I wrote to him, and gave him my telephone number, and I am sure that he would have called up if he had been there. Hope he does get to see Horton. They were good friends, and I am sure that they would like to see each other again. He will probably be there when you get this letter. If he is, tell him to tear a little corner off of the town, and think about me. I am sure that he will be much too busy to write when he is there, and will spend a lot of time resting, but tell him to write to me when he gets straightened out again, and tell me how it feels to be home again.

Bet you are glad that your school is out. I have an idea that all of you will be spending most of your time in Chattanooga for a little while won't you. I am sure glad that you are close enough to each other that you can be with each other so much.

Got a letter from Elizabeth yesterday, and will try to answer it right away. She was telling me to see Erskine, but it got here a little bit too late. Tell here to tell Albert to go around to the Church in Ozark. Rev. J. L. Daniels (James's dad) is the preacher there, and they are very good friends of mine. He met James but probably doesn't remember him.

I saw a good show tonight. If you haven't seen it before, don't miss it if you get a chance to see it. "Until Tomorrow".

Last night I had a date with a WAC from Ill. There is always something to do around here. I should write a million letters, but don't seem to be able to get around to writing to anyone except you. Think I had better start though, because I would like to know where some of my old friends are when the war is over.

There is one thing about this place that I forgot to tell you about though. It has the craziest weather that I have ever seen. One min. it is raining then you can look out the window ten mins later and the sun is shining as nice as you please. The bad part is, the next time you look out of the window it will be snowing right down. I have seen the snow all over the ground, and don't forget, this is May. It is not very cold though, so it goes right away.

I have put in a call trying to get in touch with Horton, but it doesn't look as though I can get through. If I can get him, he should know if Erskine has gone through or not.

It is getting late, and I am going to take a shower tonight, so I had better get started.

Love,
George