Letter No. 124 | Saturday June 16, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627
Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
June 16, 1945

Dearest Mother, Daddy, and Anna Ruth,

Guess my mail will be a little bit late, and about 6 days in between, but I have really been on the move for the past 5 days.  I have been on an inspection trip thru Germany with 3 Captains. We went in a Jeep, and me being the only enlisted man along, of course I had to do the driving.
[click photo to enlarge]
We pushed right on thru, and saw a lot of it. When you see it though, the only thing that you have seen in the cities are a bunch of knocked down buildings, and a lot of ruins. I saw Frankfurt, Kassel, Detmold, Paderborn, Dortmund, Koln [German: Köln  ... Cologne], and many other towns, but these were the largest. It will take them a long time to get on their feet again. The cities will have to be started all over again, because most of the buildings are flattened out, and are in ruins. It was a nice trip, and I enjoyed it a lot. I wish you could have been with me mother. We really were flying low most of the time. The old Jeep really took a beating too. It needs a complete overhaul now. I got a couple pictures of Koln that I will send home, and also a couple little German insignias. 

I have just written this in a hurry, because I don't have much time. I have to go to the building now and do a lot of straightening up. I will probably write again tomorrow.

Just want you to know that I feel fine, and am O.K. Hope you are the same.

Love you,
George