Letter No. 125 | Monday July 2, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627
Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

V-Mail Service
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
July 2, 1945

Dearest Folks,

Seems as though I can't get around to writing to you on Sunday afternoons any more. I had planned to write to you yesterday, but there was a baseball game, and that is where I ended up. It was a good game though, and I enjoyed it. After the game, I went to a show. It was very poor and I can't even remember the name of it now. Las night, I went downtown to the service club, and had a couple dishes of ice cream.

It has been raining off and on here for the past three of four days. The sky is real dark now, and it looks as though it will start again any minute. It was nice for some time, and I was out in the sun long enough to get myself all burned up as I usually do when I first go out. 

I am pretty mad now. All this Army is, is a bunch of promises. I was supposed to make Sgt. yesterday. As yet, I haven't seen any kind of orders that resemble a promotion. They say it should come out soon, but I have my doubts. If they would only turn me loose, and let me go back to my old outfit, I could be sure of the promotion. Oh well, I guess I will get out of it sometime, and that is really all I want form it. 

I had a tour of guard duty night before last. I pulled four hours at night, and had another stretch yesterday morning. I had a good post though, and could get inside while the rest of them had outside posts. It does not come around but every month or so, so I am all though with it for some time.

Several of the boys are trying to get a commission now. Several of them have ask me to put in with them, but I just laugh at them, and call them suckers. If they should get the commission, which is doubtful, they would have to stay in the Army at least one year, and more than likely, it will be several years before they will be able to get out. That is not for me. I am not going to get myself tied down where I won't have a chance to get out when the time does come.

Mother, what made you think about the water I drink? All the water we drink is put in canvas bags, and chlorinated first. The food has been very good. We had chicken yesterday, fresh eggs this morning, and steak today at noon. Do you have any trouble getting food now? Several of the boys say that their families say that  it is getting pretty hard to get food there.

Erskine didn't tell me about his girl. What is the story? Is he about to get hitched up?

Be good, and don't forget to write soon and often.

Love always,
George