Letter No. 129 | Sunday July 15, 1945

Cpl. George Dicus 34700627
Hq & Hq Sq (Signal Section)
IX Air Force Service Command
APO 149, c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Mr. L. H. Dicus
Scottsboro, Alabama

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
July 15, 1945

Dearest Folks,

After fooling around all day, I finally got something done that I have been putting off for a long time. Parkhill and I went downtown, and had our pictures taken. They won't be ready for about two weeks, but when we do get them, they had better be good. They will be 8 X 10, and they charged us about $20 each for them in advance. I am getting two pictures, one for Chattanooga, and one for Scottsboro. It is hard for these people to get the large film, and paper to print the picture on, so they really soak you when they do take your picture. I have planned to have a picture taken for a long time now, but they wouldn't have the film, or something would be wrong, and I couldn't get it taken every time. 

I had to make the letter pretty short yesterday. I came in the office at noon to write the letter, and before I could get the letter finished, the Capt. was there, and had a job for me. I cut it short though and it wasn't long before I was out again. That is enough to prove to me that I shouldn't go around the office on my days off.

It is still very hot here. I hope it rains, and cools the place off a little, but it can wait until after this afternoon. This is Sunday, and as you know, we get Sunday afternoons off. We are going to take a shower at noon, and go out and take about two or three rolls of film this afternoon. I hope it is not as hot there as it is here now. Guess it is even warner though, so I should not complain. 

I got a letter from the Co. Clerk of the 859th yesterday. He ask me to send him some forms that he couldn't get there. It is a good thing that I got out of that outfit. They will probably go to the CBI direct. It wouldn't bother me if I had to go there, but I sure would like to drop by the good old US for a couple of days before taking off. As it stands now though, I won't have to worry about either for a long time yet though. It won't be long before I am in Germany though. We will be there in about a month I guess. I have decided to wait until I get there to ask for my furlough. I can go out here, and have a good time, but there won't be anything to do there, so I will just save up my passes, and take them after I get there.

Even though this is Sunday, I have a little work to do, so must close. Only one of the officers has come down this morning, and he is doing a fancy dance around the office. He is Capt. Richardson, and is about the best officer that I have been around.

Love always,
George